Tuesday, October 19, 2010

So I've been thinking and thinking about this ghost.  After all, ghosts just don't haunt buildings randomly, right?  There has to be some reason that the ghost is here. 

I started thinking about this last week. I came to work one day and found all these articles spread out on my desk. Needless to say, I hadn’t left them there.

After glancing through the papers, I started to put a potential story together about our ghost  Some of it is based in fact, and some of it is strictly my opinion.  I’ll try to let you know what’s fact and what’s my opinion.

FACT: All the newspapers left reference the murder of H. Hugh Craft, a prohibition officer in Huntsville in 1929.  FACT: Rumors in the papers state that back before Huntsville was anything like it is now, a bunch of moonshiners got together and drew straws to determine who would murder the local Prohibition Officer.  However, this is all based on rumors.  The problem is that all the witnesses to this murder mysteriously “disappeared”.  See the article from the June 13, 1929 Huntsville Daily Times here.


FACT: Someone saw the moonshiners murder the officer.  Otherwise, how would the moonshiner story have gotten out?  After the story got out, several of the moonshiners confessed.  So a witness (OPINION: maybe a local kid on the farm) saw what happened. OPINION: Maybe the moonshiners couldn’t catch the witness, or caught the witness and let them go (when the promised to be quiet) or maybe they didn’t know there was a witness until the police started sniffing around.  Think of where it would be easy to dump a witness’ body.  The only real places I can think of are: creeks/ravines or town dumps. FACT: There is a creek that runs by the Library, OPINION: I don’t know if it’s close enough to haunt the Library.  So I started researching where the old town dump is.  And guess where?  FACT: The land that the current Huntsville Public Library is built on! 




You can see the article where they talk about building the library on the garbage dump here.





OPINION: I think that the witness to the H. Hugh Craft murder was killed and dumped in the town dump, and the Library was built on top of it.  So now, the witness is haunting the Library.  And from the things I’ve seen and heard, I think it might be a young female witness (high heeled boots and I keep thinking I see a long haired ghost). 

Maybe now that I know her story, and have told it, she’ll leave me alone?





__________________________________________________________________

Danse Immortelle: A Masquerade Ball
Friday, October 29, 2010 @ 8pm
Huntsville Public Library
Tickets: $10 in advance, $20 at the door
Tickets available after October 4 at any library location
__________________________________________________________________

 

No comments:

Post a Comment